Skip to main content

BLOG entry 3

Hello yet again to my blog. Today I'm super stoke to share with you the on exciting journey I have been going through in my ICPD lessons. Let me tell you I went bonkers having fun with all these tools!

First of all I was introduced to perspective drawing which is a type of drawing used by designers and seriously, I it awesome to see all these 'art work' from so many points of view. I saw not one not two but three point of view perspective drawing!

Second it was my turn to try them out. My teacher has arrange a tiny drawing session for us to try drawing these cool art pieces.🎨

Third activity was the designing and planning of my teams ICPD chemical product. Stay tuned its really awesome👅.

 I had an eye opener using the Fusion360 app. WOW it is soooo interesting. I was able to make a little keychain as a souvenir as well as a solo and team project on photo frame design. I am sure I will 3D print out this frame to keep the memories of my superb team.💻

So without further ado let me show u my bewildering week of experience.


🌟Perspective drawings🌟

These are the pictures my teacher has showed 
Firstly one point drawing is a drawing view from just one angle
one point perspective

 Two point as you guessed it, is a view from two angles!

Three point perspective drawing, coolest due its super realistic 3D vibes is shown below

You may think its pretty straightforward to draw these pieces or art but let me tell you It is a hand-breaking exercise to draw these😫.

Tiny drawing session🎨

Onto my little drawing session. Our friendly teacher Mr Chua kindly gave us some time to replicate the drawings shown, starting off with the basics as a warm up.

Lines and Circles.

We drew two dots 15cm away from each other and drew as best as we could a straight line to connect them.


From that we used the skill of drawing lines to draw three lines and drew circles and ovals.

After this warm up we were ready to tackle the bigger task, the perspective drawing
We started with one point and slowly build up.

These are some drawing from class which feature namely some buildings🏢and a milk cartoon🥛.
Next we went on to something more challenging, two point perspective.


The items featured are a house and two bookies. Although my drawing was far from perfect I have started getting the gist of it and it made me appreciate the drawings designers have came up with. It really is challenging to draw them nicely.

After this lesson I was tasked to draw a little picture of the coffee maker we used in our practical one as you may remember. So here is a picture of it :>




This are the steps I made to drawing my coffee machine. I utilized the two point perspective skill for my drawing to draw my way of a coffee machine as well as a tiny jug to hold the coffee👍.

Not going to lie but its pretty cute hehe. And therefore I feel that this is a new skill I just acquired! yay!


Chemical product

After the lesson my team came together to devise and plan a way to present our ICPD product, a 'saviam converter'. It is a machine used to create seitan derived from a wheat gluten. We figured that it is an awesome meat substitute which we have aimed for in our project of for sustainability. 




This machine consist of a opening that allows user to added ingredients to their liking as well as the main ingredients to make a meat substitute; seitan, water, yeast, oil, egg white and seasoning. 

This means our setup has plentiful room for customization to cater to individual user's need. 

In addition, users can control the amount of ingredients added hence being super convenient and simple to use. 

This then is moved to a place for kneading where the ingredients are mixed and knead into a meat like texture.



Next is the molding and pressing part where the seitan meat is molded to look like meat and is pressed to make some sort of a patty or however the user would like.

This then leads us to the final step which is cooking! 
ta-da we are 🎉done!🎉🥳



 




My team and I proudly present to you a masterpiece of 2 point perspective drawing of our very own 'saviam converter'!✌

Many credits to Yuhan👏 our future artist/designer.


Fusion 360

fusion 360 holds many exciting and innovative feature which I got my hands on.
Although there are still much more to explore I manage to understand the principles of this application. Some techniques I learn were extruding, offsetting, measuring and sketching. I seriously enjoyed the app and had made a small key chain with my name on it. It was rewarding to hear that I could 3D print it out and use it! My team and I also did a small group activity where we made a four layer photo frame which I was extremely proud of. 


I was in charge of doing the clear glass layer(3rd layer)


I also did a solo project which was a 2 layer photo frame as shown below.



Altogether, I was an experience not to miss as I felt a sense of nostalgia such that it was like D&T design and technology merged with art and craft in my secondary school days. I just cannot believe how I just integrated both that subjects into one. This is definitely something I would to continue learning in my coming years.

Practical 2 takeaways

In practical 2 we were required to learn about the types of cardboard before the actual practical. I would be lying if I said I knew about cardboard because, man there are so many types and uses for cardboard.

During the day of practical my class were at W3 to do an activity on cardboard joinery. This practical is targeted to expose us to the different type of joints available to connect and construct an item. Luckily for us the teacher has allow us to make anything we want. So the first thing that came to my mind was a car!🚗
We were taught to use different equipment to cut and construct our design such as hot glue gun and pen knifes.
The key task was to use the six types of joinery showed in our own creative ways.


This include the flange, tabs, slots, hole, skewers and 
L-brace.

After a little sketching and planning my team and I went to work.


Diana can be seen cutting the wheels. This part was especially tricky as we were taught to cut against the cardboard to make cutting easier however cutting a circle was not straight hence it was considerably harder.








Therefore, Jian Lun has came to the rescue! With a little experience he had from secondary school he was able to cut these circles with ease.










As for me I manage to cut out the body of the car and I am using a hot glue gun to attach both the cars including the use of L-brace between the car bodies








After some trouble my team and I managed to complete the car design as planned before. I have to say I am extremely satisfied as not only was I able to be part of this art and craft like project but also to work with some of the coolest people. Lets not forget my team was able to use all six joinery in our cute car.

Lets talk a little about my teams product.
Firstly, our hood comprises of a tab and slot joinery. They are the head lamps on the cute car face.💡

Secondly the SP flag is the skewer joinery that is place to show that our product is proudly presented from Singapore Polytechnic. 🚩

Thirdly, one of my proudest design are the wheels. 🔘They are actually a moving mechanism as they are connected with holes and skewer joinery and there is a straw surrounding the skewer. this means that the skewer and wheels are all movable :)

Next, we have the steering wheel. It is actually a flange connecting a circle with a cut out in the middle. it really looks realistic doesn't it. ☸

Lastly, as u may have already found our seat is an L-brace. It  is a movable seat for our driver to sit in! 💺

Our decorations are also very meaningful. I had everyone in our team to sign on a tape and paste it on the parts they have contributed to show that this car is an effort by the team not just from a single person's effort.

From this practical I have been enlightened on the various ways to put cardboard to good use. They are not just used in packaging of parcels but also a cost effective way to plan design a product before making it with other materials. This prototype is small scale, cheap and easy to work with compared to the actual product hence I have a feeling that I will be needing this skill in the future, thus I am happy that I got to learn the skills to use cardboard joinery.👐

In a nutshell

Overall I felt that ICPD module has broaden the I think not just through one but all the activities. Being exposed to drawing and sketching to design a product with fusion 360 and even hands on activity with cardboard has made me more interested in designing in general. I believe I was able to generate innovative ideas during my sessions in class and workshop which has allowed me to achieve what I have wanted to learn from this module. With the skill and knowledge I obtained from the pass few weeks I am confident that I have the basic skill to design a product.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOG entry 5

Hello welcome back to another blog guys! Its a brand new term and I have many new finds that I want to share with y'all. The term welcomed me with open arms to more interesting prototyping and product development strategies. First was Materials For Design (MFD) followed by Design For Materials (DFM). What weird lesson names right? These mirrored naming are co-related and are as interesting as they sound, so lets get right into it! Material For Design🎨 Does this sound familiar??  🤨 That's right! It was a module we had underwent in our year one of chemical engineering. After the introduction to chemical engineering we learnt from MFD many types of basic materials used in the chemical industry and I have to say it was a lot of fun even though it was not that relatable back then. But NOW it really make sense to me about the selections and properties of different materials. The lesson on MFD had us put on our thinking caps🎩 back on and reviewed the crucial concepts on material ch...

BLOG Entry 1

 Takeaways (week 1-3) Hello! This is my debut blog from my IPCD module:0 This blog will be a summary of the important stuff that i have learnt or found interesting about, hence I'm eager to share with you guys. First 3 weeks of ICPD was a BLaST, hearing that we are able to 3D print was an absolute dream as I seen many amazing work on youtube about 3D printing. Tutorials:> -The classification of chemical designs (week 2) There are four main types of designs, Commodities ( made in large quantities) Molecular products ( discovered through researches) Micro-structured products (chemical organization in micro-scale) Chemical devices ( products used daily for convenience)  -Product design stages (week 3) There are also four stages, Needs ( starts from identifying customers demand) Ideas ( establishing phase) Selection ( refining the ideas generated) Manufacture ( developing the project) -The pain points in the chemical designs (week 3) Pain points actually not physical but proble...

BLOG Entry 2

Week 4 Hello guys welcome back to my blog and today I have another post for you guys. I will be sharing about the lessons i have just learnt in week 4.👀 Update My team has decided to continue our project on sustainability in the environment. We came up with using beans and vegetation as a fake meat through the help of a machine. This little machinery aids out idea in making🌟sustainable meat🌟. There are actually numerous benefits to this and the first is that fake meat converted from beans and other vegetation are more nutritious and altogether a healthier meat substitute. Second reason why my team has settled with this idea because it decreases Global Warming in general!  Fun fact: cattle ranching ( taking care of animals ) is a major contribution to global warming due to significant amount of methane and nitrous oxide (powerful greenhouse gases). These gases are created during digestion due to enteric fermentation and is released via belches and farts.🤮😭 Third and last reason...